Dr. Andrew Koeser
Associate Professor of Environmental Horticulture
As a faculty member within the Center for Land Use Efficiency (CLUE), Dr. Andrew Koeser is charged with protecting and conserving Florida's natural resources by developing research-based, sustainable urban landscape practices.
Dr. Koeser works directly with arborists, landscapers, nursery growers, and urban foresters to both reduce the inputs and increase the ecological benefits associated with urban and residential greening.
Dr. Koeser’s research focus is sustainable landscape management.
To be environmentally sustainable, nursery production and plant maintenance efforts must strive to:
- Reduce reliance on material and energy inputs
- Limit impacts on Florida’s natural systems
- Maximize a plants functional longevity
More specifically, Dr. Koeser is interested in the following research areas:
- Urban/Residential Tree Growth and Longevity
- Environmental/Economic Costs and Benefits of Landscapes
- Role of plants in Green Infrastructure
- Qualitative and Quantitative Tree Risk Assessment
Extension is UF/IFAS means for delivering useful, up-to-date scientific information to the general public and working professionals.
Dr. Koeser's Extension program is intended to help home gardeners and industry professionals keep Florida’s urban landscapes green and vibrant in a manner that preserves the state’s natural systems.
Current works range from fact sheets on identifying and caring for ornamental plants to larger, more technical references and job-aid applications on tree risk assessment.
Lab Phone Number: 813-419-6593 Staff Member Contact Information Brooke Anderson, OPS Field Tech Zach Freeman, OPS Field Tech firstname.lastname@example.org Hunter Thorn, Bio Scientist I email@example.com Elise Willis, Grad Student firstname.lastname@example.org
Gulf Coast Research and Education Center
14625 County Road 672
Wimauma, FL 33598
- Ph.D. Crop Sciences (Horticulture and Biometry Emphases), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2013
- M.S. Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2008
- B.S. Forestry (Urban Forestry Emphasis), University of Wisconsin, Stevens Point, 2005
Professional Service and Awards