Completing Graduate Studies at GCREC
Living at the GCREC allows students to learn about multiple disciplines of study in a convenient, nearby atmosphere.
Housing welcomes a large diversity of cultures, so incoming residents will need to accommodate and respect different people, cultures, and ideas. The number of people in the house may vary, however, reducing privacy and sharing common areas is necessary.
- Located in a rural setting
- Occupancy of 8 people per house
- Washer and dryer included
- Cooking utensils and cookware included
What You'll Need
- Pillows, sheets, twin-sized mattress cover, and blankets for beds, which can be bought at a local store
- Bring both warm and cool clothing—the winter months can bring freezing temperatures, while the summer months are hot and humid with the rainy season streching from April to September
- Many restaurants are within a 10–15 minute drive
- Brandon is 30–40 miles away or a 20–30 minute drive
- Tampa is a 45 minute drive
- World-class beaches are within a one hour drive
- Orlando—home to Disney, Universal Studios, and other theme parks—is about a one hour drive
Transportation is not provided by the center. However, the sponsoring faculty member is responsbile for transporting students or making arrangements with a staff member or graduate student, for which compensation should be considered. Tranportation arrangements must be made before arriving to ensure all basic needs are met.
Depending on the length of your stay here, you may want to bring a vehicle or some sort of transportation as public transportation to Orlando and other areas are unavailable.
- Our Facilities
The University of Florida Gulf Coast Research and Education Center is a 475-acre facility located near Wimauma, Florida—a rural setting in the heart of Hillsborough County.
- Map & Directions
From I-75 north or south, take Exit 246 and merge onto Big Bend Road/CR 672 East towards US 301. Turn right onto US301/CR672, and travel 1.4 miles. Turn left onto Balm Road/CR 672 forl 7.5 miles. The center is located on the south side of Balm Road.