Scientists at the UF/IFAS GCREC are conducting research in several areas to improve caladium tuber and plant quality as well as performance in containers or in the landscape.
Current research efforts include:
- Inheritance of disease and pest resistance
- Development of biotechnology for genetic improvement
- Molecular characterization of caladium species and varieties
- Best management practices, including fertilization, irrigation, fumigation, and weed control
- Integrated pest management
- Container forcing techniques