Dr. Seonghee Lee
Assistant Professor, Strawberry Molecular Genetics and Genomics, Horticultural Sciences Department
Dr. Seonghee Lee’s research program focuses on the field of strawberry molecular genetics and genomics to apply modern molecular genetic/genomic tools for UF strawberry breeding program and support new cultivar development.
Using the advanced molecular information, his team can successfully develop superior strawberry cultivars to provide benefits continuously for Florida strawberry industry. Thus, in support of this goal, his research currently focuses on several main areas.
- Management of high-throughput marker-assisted selection program
- NGS data analysis and traits discovery and candidate allele identification for disease resistance, flavor and fruit quality
- Sequencing UF cultivars/advanced selections for octoploid genome assembly and subgenome specific linkage map construction.
- Development of genomics/bioinformatics-assisted breeding tools for UF strawberry breeding accessions to facilitate gene cloning and marker development.
- Development of the platform of gene-editing technology in octoploid strawberry and application to enhance UF strawberry cultivar development program.
Dr. Seonghee Lee collaborates with researchers locally, nationally and internationally recognized in strawberry and other small fruit breeding programs. His group closely works together with the UF strawberry breeder, Dr. Vance Whitaker, and his breeding team for developing superior cultivars (http://gcrec.ifas.ufl.edu/fruit-crops/strawberry-cultivars/).