Dr. Hugh A. Smith
Publications: Vegetable Entomology
- Smith, H.A. CM Macvean, A C Bailey and JM Benavente. 2013. Faba beans are not a good trap crop for thrips in snow peas in Guatemala. Florida Entomologist 96:1603-1605.
- Smith, H. A. and M. C. Giurcanu. 2013. Residual effects of new insecticides on egg and nymph densities of Bemisia tabaci. Florida Entomologist 96: 504-511.
- P. G. Tillman, H. A. Smith, and J. M. Holland. 2012. Cover crops and related methods for enhancing agricultural biodiversity and conservation biocontrol: successful case studies. Chapter 19 in Biodiversity and Insect Pests: Key Issues for Sustainable Management by Geoff M. Gurr, Stephen D. Wratten, William E. Snyder & Donna M. Y. Read (Editors). 2012 John Wiley and Sons Ltd, Chichester, UK. pp. 309-327.
- Smith, H. A. 2009. Ecological management of arthropod pests of horticultural crops: lessons from the Central Coast of California. Abstract, HortScience, 44: 990.
- Smith, H. A. 2008. Habitat manipulation for the conservation of natural enemies, in Encyclopedia of Pest Management, D. Pimentel, ed. Taylor and Francis, USA.
- Smith, H. A., W. E. Chaney, and T. A. Bensen. 2008. Role of syrphid larvae and other predators in suppressing aphid infestations in organic lettuce on California’s Central Coast. Journal of Economic Entomology. 101: 1526-1532.
- Bugg, R. L., W. E. Chaney, R. G. Colfer, J. A. Cannon and H. A. Smith. 2008. Flower flies (Diptera: Syrphidae) and other important allies in controlling pests of California vegetable crops. University of California, Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources, Publication 8285. University of California Press, Davis, CA.
- Smith, H. A., and W. E. Chaney. 2007. A survey of syrphid predators of Nasonovia ribisnigri in organic lettuce on the Central Coast of California. Journal of Economic Entomology 100: 39-48.
- Smith, H. A. 2004. Management of arthropod pests of agriculture in the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. American Entomologist 50: 90 -105.
- Smith, H. A. 2004. Encyclopedia entries: "Organic agriculture" and "Crop diversity and pest management" in Encyclopedia of Entomology, J. L. Capinera, ed. Kluwer Academic Press.
- Smith, H. A., E. R. Mitchell, and J. L. Capinera. 2004. Pest management priorities among Florida's organic vegetable growers. Florida Scientist 67: 63-73.
- Smith, H. A., and R. McSorley. 2002. Effect of short-term cattle grazing on soil arthropod communities in a southern Florida pasture. Soil Crop Science Society of Florida, Proceedings 61: 33-36.
- Johanowicz, D. L., H. A. Smith, A. Sourakov, and E. R. Mitchell. 2002. Lambsquarters (Chenopodium album) in a maize agroecosystem: a potential refuge for natural enemies of fall armyworm (Spodoptera frugiperda) larvae. Journal of Entomological Science 37: 203-206.
- Smith, H. A., R. McSorley, and J. A. Sierra Izaguirre. 2001. The effect of intercropping common bean with poor hosts and nonhosts on numbers of immature whiteflies (Homoptera: Aleyrodidae) in the Salamá valley, Guatemala. Environmental Entomology 30: 89-100.
- Smith, H. A., and R. McSorley. 2000. Intercropping and pest management: A review of major concepts. American Entomologist 46: 154 - 161.
- Smith, H.A., G.A. Evans, and R. McSorley. 2000. A survey of parasitoids of Trialeurodes vaporariorum and Bemisia tabaci (Homoptera: Aleyrodidae) in eastern Guatemala. Florida Entomologist 83: 492-496.
- Smith, H. A., R. McSorley, and G. B. Edwards. 2000. A comparison of some arthropod groups on monocropped and intercropped tomato in Baja Verapaz, Guatemala. Florida Entomologist 83: 358 - 362.
- Smith, H. A., and R. McSorley. 2000. Potential of field corn as a barrier crop and eggplant as a trap crop for management of Bemisia argentifolii on common bean in north Florida. Florida Entomologist. 83: 145 -158.
- Smith, H. A., R. L. Koenig, H. J. McAuslane and R. McSorley. 2000. Effect of silver reflective mulch and a summer squash trap crop on densities of immature Bemisia argentifolii on organic bean. Journal of Economic Entomology 93: 726 - 731.
- Smith, H. A., J. L. Capinera, J. E. Peña, and B. Linbo-Terhaar. 1994. Parasitism of pickleworm and melonworm by Cardiochiles diaphaniae. Environmental Entomology 23: 1283 -1293.
- Abrams, M.M., W.M. Jarrell, H.A. Smith, and P.R. Clark. 1990. Nitrogen accretion in soil and biomass production by three Prosopis species. Agroforestry Systems 10: 93 - 97.
Hugh Smith Programs: Research | Extension | Extension Publications